The best of the west programme is for elite (premier and metro) players from the west who would like to start to a part of the Waitakere United player development pathway. This is a programme that focuses on developing home grown players to eventually play for Waitakere United in the ISP Handa Premiership and Youth teams. It will be held in Term 4 of the 2017.
There are 3 age brackets that Waitakere are targeting. These 2 year age bands process down from the current youth team age band (1997-1998).
• 12/13th – 2004-2005 • 14/15th – 2002-2003 • 16/17th – 2000-2001
A range of topics will be covered within the 8 week programme. The playing philosophy and structure of Waitakere United’s playing model will be coached within these sessions.
- Week 1: Defending — 1v1, 2v2, 3v3
- Week 2: Defending in units, denying group penetration and understanding defensive triggers
- Week 3: Counter-attack and decision making from defensive block
- Week 4: Transition into possession shape and structure to maintain possession
- Week 5: Small sided games to test defending and counter-attack learnings
- Week 6: In possession — how to create space and create pro-active forward movement
- Week 7: In possession — playing through the thirds to maintain possession
- Week 8: Small sided games to test the learning of the previous 8 week block.
Goalkeepers will have their own programme with targeted outcomes across the full range of activity.
DATES AND SESSION TIMES
The 9 week programme commences on Wednesday October 25th at 4.30pm and finishes Wednesday Dec 13th. Each session will be 90 minutes duration. This will include teaching players the correct way to warm-up/cool down for their long-term injury prevention and include core stability exercises. The sessions will be held prior to Waitakere United first team trainings to allow first team coaching staff and players to coach, analyse and provide feedback to the players.
• 4.30-6.00pm — 1999-2004 age band outfield players and goalkeepers
Each Wednesday session will be held at Fred Taylor Park, Whenuapai.
$180.00 per participant for the 8 week course and all participants will receive a season pass, worth $135, to all Waitakere United’s home matches for the 2017/18 season.
So if you believe you have what it takes and would like to be a Waitakere United player of the future please CLICK
HERE to register.